Fortaleza is the state capital of Ceará, located in north-eastern Brazil. With a population of 2.5 million Fortaleza is the country’s 5th largest city. Fortaleza basically lives from its diversified commerce and tourism.
The warm climate, pleasantly warm ocean waters and the sandy beaches are the main drivers that Fortaleza has become one of the main tourist attractions in north-eastern Brazil.
The city’s main tourist attractions are:
- Avenida Beira Mar is where locals and tourists go to stroll and where you find the daily handicraft fair.
- Mucuripe beach is the place of jangadas, handmade wooden fishing boats.
- Praia do Futuro is popular for its barracas, simple and rustic restaurants built on the beach sand that serve fresh, typical seafood.
- Iracema beach is known fort its night life and the Pirata club where you can enjoy the Forró, the local folklore.
- Cultural centre Centro Dragão do Mar de Arte e Cultura.
- Beach Park, the largest water park of Latin America.
Furthermore, some of the most beautiful beaches of north-eastern Brazil, like Jericoacoara, Lagoinha and Canoa Quebrada, can comfortably be reached by car.